How to find the best LED products (Part 2)
Continuing our discussion on finding the best LED products on the market, there are a few key points to keep in mind when evaluating fixture quality and efficiency. While some of these products perform quite well, others may leave something to be desired.
The following are seven key questions to ask when evaluating LED products:
- What are the delivered lumens at each correlated color temperature?
- What is the color rendering index rating at each color temperature?
- Are LM79 photometric reports and IES files from a testing lab accredited by the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program available?
- Does the thermal management system keep the LED junction temperature below specified maximums in all applications?
- Is there a written end-of-life policy, and how will spares be made available?
- Who made the LEDs in the product?
- Is there a luminaire warranty?
A more complete and detailed list can be found at ssl.energy.gov/what-to-ask.html.
Although SSL technology is making rapid progress, the LED lighting products on the market are still very much a mixed back – which makes educating consumers and buyers a top priority.
Source: The Electrical Distributor magazine